A Coalition of Catholic and other faith-based organizations serving those in need.
The purpose of the Rebuild Center is to provide a setting, resources and opportunities for collaboration among Catholic and other faith-based organizations in the City of New Orleans for the service of those in need. In short, the center works with needy and displaced residents to help in whatever way they require.
A center of hope for the local community, the Rebuild Center rose from the asphalt of a former parking area behind the church. It was a maze of sticks at first and then slowly took form as the bathrooms, kitchen, meeting area, decks and canopies were constructed. It is now a place where the homeless and those in need can find a place to rest by day and receive the basic services they require.
“She had a dream…” The Rebuild Center was the brainchild of Sr. Vera Butler, PBVM, recipient of the 2006 Lumen Christi Award for her tireless service and devotion to the poor and homeless in the St. Joseph Church neighborhood. Through her efforts and the efforts of St. Joseph Church, a seed was planted and partnerships were cultivated, resulting in a collaborative effort among established agencies already ministering to the poor and homeless in various sections of the city. These agencies came together to pool resources and manpower in what is now known as The Rebuild Center at St. Joseph.
OPEN WEEKDAYS FROM 8:00 AM TO 2:30 PM
- Lunch – served promptly at 12:50 PM daily
- Financial help (for neighborhood residents only)
- Showers – last one in at 12:45 PM
- Laundry – last load in at 12 PM
- Toiletries – 10 AM to 12 PM daily while they last
- Restroom facilities daily
- Seniors Food Program, every 2nd Thurs., 8 AM to 12 PM
- Mon. & Wed. 8 AM for legal aid
- Tues., Wed., Thurs. 12:30 PM for notaries
- Mon. & Tues. 8 AM – 12 PM for ID’s & birth certificates (for homeless only)
- Mon., Wed., Fri. 10 AM – 1 PM
- Mental health and prescriptions daily
- Thurs. & Fri. (for neighborhood residents only)
Financial Literacy (By appt. only)
Providence Housing & Mortgage Readiness Program (By appt. only)
- Daily outreach to Hispanic residents.
- English lessons & legal aid.
Unity Collaborative for Affordable Housing:
- Mon. – Thurs. 9 AM – 11 AM (Orleans and Jefferson Parish residents only)